Pimples are a very common skin problem especially among adults; they usually occur on the face and can be itchy as well as painful. The ones inside the mouth and on the lips can be the most painful. It not only makes eating problematic but there can be an added problem if one tends to bite them. Also, they worsen by coming into contact with the food and cause inflammation. Hormonal imbalance, aid regulation, lack of a proper and healthy diet and oily skin contribute towards the formation of pimples on the lips. Even unhygienic conditions and viral infections can contribute to the problem.
While most of the times pimples on the lips are a result of lack of care and hormonal imbalance, at times even severe medical conditions such as allergic reactions and sexually transmitted diseases can exacerbate the issue.
Pimples on the lips can upset the cosmetic appearance of a person and can cause continual irritating and pain because these are continually used for eating and drinking. For the ones having a habit of pressing their lips a lot, this could be a nightmare. Eating food that is too salty and spicy causes more pain and irritation.
Causes of Pimples on Lip line
- Using low quality cosmetic products such as lipsticks, lip gloss, creams or lip balm can cause pimples on the lips. The cheaper chemical ingredients used to make these products can harm the skin easily by penetrating into it and causing bacterial infection. Thus we can say that women are more vulnerable to lip pimples.
- Using products that have expired such as cosmetic and face makeup can also cause pimples on lips.
- One of the most common sexually transmitted disease – herpes could also be a cause of pimples on the lips. These pimples would be different as in they will be larger, more painful, and will also look like ulcers. Sometimes people also mistake them for cold sores.
- Lack of a proper and healthy diet is a major cause of pimples on the lips.
- Hormonal changes because of stress, anxiety, and mood disorders and among women puberty, menstruation, menopause and pregnancy are the main causes. Many people who have oily skin are more prone to pimples on lip than those who have normal or dry skin.
- Interestingly, even the toothpaste that we use can react with the skin through the fluoride in toothpaste.
- Smokers are more vulnerable people to get pimples on lips.
- Keeping the mouth and lips unclean, especially after eating oily, greasy and spicy food can also be a cause since the built up of oils can easily cause pimples.
- Not cleaning and exfoliating the lips regularly can also cause pimples.
Dealing With Pimples on Lip line
As much as the causes are worth worrying for, the treatment is relatively simpler with some changes in the routine habits and skin care.
- Having a good skin care routine such as cleansing, moisturizing, exfoliating especially on the lips can be extremely preventive when it comes to pimples. Extending the normal skin care onto the lips is just enough. An easy way to exfoliate lips is by using a soft toothbrush that will remove the dead skin cells.
- Using medicated skin care products might contain some chemicals that can affect the lips negatively, therefore one must be careful while taking a skin treatment and check with the dermatologist for possible consequences.
- Choosing toothpaste with lesser or no fluoride is also a good preventive measure.
- One must avoid using cosmetic products containing sodium lauryl sulfate such as in soaps, shampoos and gels. Although it’s the most common ingredient found in such skin products but is also the most harmful for the skin at the same time. Its harshness makes it perfect to clean engine oil from the machines!
- Eating a good diet rich in most of the vitamins and minerals is necessary to avoid such skin problems. One must stay away from eating junk and try to eat as fresh food as possible. Food items such as salads, avocados, raw vegetables and fruits as well as dairy and poultry products are a good choice of healthy eating habits.
- One must also refrain from smoking and excessive alcohol production as it produces heat in the body that doesn’t convert or get used and as a result causes pimples, acne and other skin problems.
- Use a medicated mouth-wash with anti-acne properties to wash your mouth and lips.
- Drinking plenty of water and fresh fruits and vegetable juices, green tea and fulfilling the daily requirement of minerals and vitamins is important for a healthy hydrated skin.
- Mix one tablespoon of lime juice, one tablespoon of jojoba oil and a half tablespoon of carrot oil in a little container. Massage the mixture lightly on the lips and leave it on, you don’t need to rinse it off. You can keep the unused mixture on the refrigerator for some days and then use it again. This helpful home remedy for pimples on lip line has been suggested by Julie Gabriel in the book ‘The Green Beauty Guide.’
- Drinking wheatgrass juice can also stop the buildup of bacteria and the pimples on lips. You can also apply some on the lips for about five minutes or so before rinsing it off.
Pimples are the most commonly occurring skin problems and can be easily prevented with some healthy and simple changes in lifestyle and eating habits.